Thursday, October 15, 2015

Applesauce Raisin Cookies

Applesauce Raisin Cookies.


Every year my husband bugs me to make these cookies. They're soft, spicy,  full of raisins and very easy to make.This is the third batch of this recipe this month, I think he's gotten his fill of them.









I bought this book at a thrift store about 25 years ago. 
I have several copies of these Betty Crocker Cookie/Cooky(the red one)books, if I find one at a thrift store, I buy it. My mom got me the first one when I was a kid in the 60's, she had ordered herself one then decided I needed one too. I hope I'm not the only one that had a cookbook collection when they were a kid!



The first step is to beat together the brown sugar, shortening (I use butter), applesauce and egg.

I just dump the dry ingredients into the first mixture and blend until completely mixed.
 Then add the raisins.
Scoop onto a cookie sheet, I like to use parchment, but it's not necessary and bake for approximately 12 minutes at 375° until they just bounce back. 

Cool on a rack and then enjoy!

Applesauce Raisin Cookies
1 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup shortening (I use butter)
1/2 cup applesauce
1 egg
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt 
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup nuts

Preheat oven to 375°
Mix together brown sugar, shortening, applesauce and egg. Then add flour, spices, baking soda and salt, mix until well blended. Add raisins. I don't add the nuts so I add an extra 1/2 cup of raisins. Scoop with 2 spoons or a cookie scoop onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake until tops just spring back when touched, my oven takes 12 minutes, remove to cooling rack.




No comments:

Post a Comment